RB Umali and the iPhone Fisheye

RB Umali has been behind the lens filming skateboarding for the better part of two decades. It’s a rare privilege to earn a living doing something you love, and RB makes it look easy. Lucky for you he’s agreed to share his knowledge through a monthly video blog here on ABD covering gear, gadgets and other gems that only come with years of experience. This month, he takes a look at a fun way to add some versatility to that camera you’re probably carrying around in your pocket right now with a magnetic fisheye lens.

RB Umali and the iPhone Fisheye Kit.
Ebay iPhone Fisheye
Ebay iPhone Clamp
Giottos Mini Ball Head
Calumet Minipod

Music
In the Air
Produced by Danny Mayer
Mayerinated Beats (ASCAP)
@mayerinated

9 Comments

1. Posted February 8, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

Hell yeah, RB! Fun stuff. Thanks for always sharing your experiments with everyone.

Check out the Almost DSLR app. It allows focus and exposure lock witch is pretty awesome when filming with the iPhone and it’s really quick to use. Has a ton of other features but those are the 2 that I use when trying to get that proper iPhone footy.

2. Posted February 8, 2011 at 6:58 pm | Permalink

Sick. Been messing around with flip cams and iphone filming, didn’t know the facetime lens got an uncropped image.

Check out the mobile fisheye at dealextreme.com, it keeps focus around the edges where the ebay one doesn’t.

3. Posted February 8, 2011 at 10:51 pm | Permalink

What up Erik! Thank you for the tip on the DSLR app i will check that out. I’m uploading some footage of Joey i shot for you earlier today. Heads up on that sometime later tomorrow.

And thanks Brian for the heads up on the dealextreme.com fisheye. I will check that out and make a comparison.

4. Posted February 8, 2011 at 11:33 pm | Permalink

Right on! sick blog! Can’t wait till next installment!

5. Posted February 9, 2011 at 5:39 am | Permalink

These interviews with RB about gear are so rad!

6. Posted February 9, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

Crazy coincidence man, I posted an article about the iPhone Fisheye on my website the on February 7th!

I never even thought about doing on the front, I actually like the way it looks on the back. I attached the magnetic ring to a real slim case so that I can just slap that on and use the lens, I think it works really well.

Anyway that’s crazy cuz I’ve had the lens for months now and finally decided to type up an article. I’m sure you’ve had yours for awhile too, but we both somehow did articles at the same time.

I did an edit completely from the phone with effects, slow mo and music, please check it out!

I love your articles man and am a big fan of your filming/editing, thanks for taking the time to read this!

7. Posted February 9, 2011 at 5:53 pm | Permalink

dudes, another option to check out is the Owle, $129 on wantowle.com. It comes with a glass fisheye, but any 37mm camcorder lens works. It’s also got four tripod mounting spots, and it’s a little heavy to help steady the footage.

filming and editing skate videos with a device in your pocket is very powerful. I am excited!

8. Posted June 8, 2011 at 4:15 pm | Permalink

I have a very similar setup on a mytouch 4g, except i got a mini cellphone tripod that has a ball head for 3.97 shipped on ebay, and you can use the tripod legs as a handle if you put the head all the way down and rotate your phone, it works great

9. Posted February 16, 2012 at 6:19 am | Permalink

Does anyone knows a way to turn off or disable iphone 4s image stabilizer? I was messing around with a similar fisheye bought off ebay but I can’t find a solution to get rid of the issue. The vig keeps moving due to 4s stabilization future. I also tried wit ProCamera app that allows to manual set the camera but I had no luck!